Monday 29 June 2015

Single of the Week: Jennifer Hudson - I Sill Love You


I always get a little angry that Jennifer Hudson has not had the career she deserves. Eliminated from American Idol way too early, I remember being so shocked. Then she may have won an Oscar, but has succumbed to the Best Supporting Actress curse of not going on to better acting jobs. And while her music career is filled with stunning tunes, she hasn't had the massive hits she deserves.

Her new single, "I Still Love You", is another example of JHud's brilliance. Produced by the exquisite Gorgon City, who's tracks I have been loving (their Katy B collaboration, "Lover Like You", and their one with Jennifer, "Go All Night"). You can hear their influence on the beautiful beats that fill the song. This is a funky tune that has some roots in the great 90s pop sound.

The highlight of any Jennifer Hudson song is always that stunning voice. And stunning may just be too light a word to use, her voice is just ridiculous. It sounds effortless for her to hit those amazing notes. I want to raise my hands in tribute every time she belts out one of her signature big notes. The passion with which she sings, "I Still Love You" is so amazing - you can't help but believe her. This is a great song and people need to hear it!

Another reason for this track claiming the single of the week on my birthday week, is the brilliant video. The video follows a gay couple as they prepare to get married, and the father of one of the groom's decided whether he should go to the nuptials or not. He chooses to go and love wins out. It seems even more fitting this week with the US Supreme Court's landmark ruling on marriage equality. And while the conservatives continue to make borderline offensive and ridiculous statements, the fact can't be denied that love has won.

So thank you Jennifer for making this clip, I had a tear when I watched this great clip. While it's important the gay community continue to push for marriage equality and basic human rights, it's also important our straight allies also do the same. When celebrities come out in support of the gay community it sends an important message. There's a reason celebrities earn millions of dollars to endorse a product, people listen and opinions change.

Now a personal plea. I live in Australia, a country I always saw to be pretty enlightened and forward. That was until recently. We don't have marriage equality, and we won't get it under the current conservative government. We are living in a time when the gay community is being shunned, the poor are getting poorer and the national broadcaster is being censored. It's like George Orwell's "1984", or North Korea. I don't want more than anyone else, I just want the right to marry. Simple. Love is love. If you live in Australia, write to your federal member about marriage equality. I did, he didn't write back, but that's not going to stop me. I'm going to go into his office this week with my letter. It's time for Australia to join New Zealand, Ireland and the United States with marriage equality.

So I'll bring it back to Jennifer Hudson's moving and beautiful song. It's an easy pick for single of the week and you should check it out!


No comments:

Post a Comment