Thursday 4 June 2015

Top 5 Songs - Dixie Chicks


I love pop music, this is essentially a pop music blog - but I also love so many different types of music. Country is a genre I also really love; I've often mentioned on this blog my absolute love for Kasey Chambers; and my highest read blog was my review of Beccy Cole's fab autobiography. Though when it comes to non Australian country music, my absolute favourite has been, and will always be, Dixie Chicks.

I had the absolute pleasure of seeing Dixie Chicks perform a few years ago at the Sydney Entertainment Centre and it was amazing. The ladies performed for two captivating hours and it was inspiring, the crowd were well and truly awe struck.

A controversial group, their "Shut Up & Sing" documentary was brilliant and made me respect the girls even more. I live in hope that they will release more music, we need it. We need more Dixie Chicks music!

So to the top five list. There's plenty of songs to consider, and the top 2 were definites from the start; but I had to battle with myself on how to round out the countdown. I unfortunately had to not include tracks I love, like "Wide Open Spaces", "Godspeed", "Sin Wagon" and their brilliant cover of "Stand By Your Man".

So what's your favourite Dixie Chicks track? Tell me in the comments section below. And now for my list:

5 - Easy Silence


This track reminds me of my best friend, and when a song can elicit memories, you know it is good. Lyrically this song is incredible, and so very beautiful; "And the peaceful quiet you create for me, and the way that you keep the world at bay for me". Stuff from the heart. I didn't realise this wasn't a single until I was just researching this song, doesn't matter - still a classic that highlights the beautiful voice of Natalie Maines.

4 - Top of the World


One of the best things about country music is its amazing ability to tell stories, and "Top of the World" is a perfect example of this. Written by Patty Griffin for a shelved album of hers, Dixie Chick's version is the best known (Kasey Chambers also did a great cover). There is such beautiful emotion to this song, and drama. The instrumentation is incredible and sets the mood exquisitely for this story about a now deceased man looking down and reflecting on his life. Stuff from the heart.

3 - Cowboy Take Me Away


Even though I loved their later stuff more, I do love some of their early work. There's a beautiful simplicity to this ballad of yearning. Natalie's voice is gorgeous and the harmonising from the other ladies is perfect. The instrumentation is also great, I love the strings the ladies always use. The lyrics are beautiful here, I mean, haven't we all wanted a cowboy to take us away?

2 - Not Ready To Make Nice


I am a fan of message songs, and this one is a great big FU to their haters. After controversially criticising the American war effort and president Bush, the ladies became enemy number one in country music heart land. Instead of backing down, they released this wonderful track. It is moody, dark, deep and just fucking awesome. The agony in Natalie's voice is evident and the instruments are again firing. Lyrically it's brilliant, "And how in the world can the words that I said send somebody so over the edge, that they write me a letter sayin' that I better shut and sing or my life will be over?" Now that's a fuck you!! Brilliant clip too.

1 - Landslide


This is the track that made me fall in love with the Dixie Chicks. A cover of a Fleetwood Mac / Stevie Nicks classic, and a truly magnificent song that is covered flawlessly! I remember reading at the time that the ladies were attracted to the song because Nicks had written it at 27 and Natalie was 27 when they recorded it, empathising with the message. I was 27 when it was released, I think the age was important with the message, as I felt I could truly relate to those beautiful lyrics. This was their big cross-over hit, and rightfully so, it is truly amazing.

So what's your favourite Dixie Chicks song? Tell me in the comments section below.

No comments:

Post a Comment