Friday 6 March 2015

Album Review: Madonna - Rebel Heart


Time for the conclusion to Madonna Week, and what a perfect way to finish, a review of the new Madonna album, the fantastic "Rebel Heart". I get so genuinely excited when a new Madonna album comes out. I've taken days off school, work, I even came home from University (five hour drive) to get the "Bedtime Stories" album. And now we have "Rebel Heart" - I wanted to listen to the leaked version, but I didn't, cause Madonna didn't want me to. So it was killing me I hadn't heard it fully, and yesterday I did - and it was worth the wait!

Let's get one thing clear, "Rebel Heart" is a brilliant album, one of Madonna's strongest in years. It is an amazing pop album, and they are the kind Madonna does so well. Don't get me wrong, I really enjoyed the last two albums, especially "MDNA", but this sees Madonna return to form in a massive way.

With 19 songs, it feels like a double album, and with the pre release of 9 tracks, yesterday's release of the final 10 certainly felt like a whole new album. I've played the new tracks a number of times now and I can say with all honesty that every track is gold. Madonna is an icon, a legend and she proves that with these strong songs about her amazing reign, but then like all good Madonna albums, she's unafraid to show us her softer side. She lets us in with a number of incredible confessional tunes. And when you've been on top for so long and are such a controversial figure, you are often the target of much criticism. So she has a lot to tell when she opens up her heart.

Now I did a pre release review of the first 6 tracks, but revisiting them again, they are still just as good. "Living For Love" is a classic Madonna single, an anthem about love designing for dancing. "Devil Pray" sees Madonna head back to the lyricism of "American Life". "Ghost Town" is a haunting and beautiful ballad that's become an instant fan favourite. "Unapologetic Bitch" is a track that gets better with every listen, this track is more than the title - it's a great song about getting back at an ex. "Illuminati" is a stunning ironic track with the right level of humour and beats. Then there's "Bitch I'm Madonna", a track that still makes me smile.

Now to the tracks that came a few weeks ago, again all three are strong. "Hold Tight" was a track that took a few listens to get into, but has become a very soothing pop song. The repetition of "only love" with Madonna singing lower is divine. "Iconic" is another example of Madonna saying, "Fuck it, I deserve to say I'm the best", and the track is great, an epic tune. Now to "Joan of Arc" my standout on the album. This is a beautiful, heartfelt track that I have had on repeat for weeks. Madonna is vulnerable, lyrically it's brilliant and the vocals sound lovely. A great, great, great track.

Now to the new songs, and what a mixed bag we have. Part sexual, part confessional, all the tracks are beautifully individual but together make a seamless piece of art. One of the really great things about many of these songs is the build. They start subdued and then change midway through, making the songs epic journeys. "Inside Out" is a simple but powerful tune. The vocals sound great and when the track starts again midway through, the drama is magnificent. "Best Night" is a great reggae-light track, an easy track with a great groove. The late addition of the "Justify My Love" sample is a welcome surprise. How awesome that Madonna doesn't sample others, she samples herself. The last track with a beautiful build is "S.E.X", a track with a sexy slow groove and some awesome lyrics, "A lesson in sexology". 

Let's talk about the beautiful ballads next, and these are always a Madonna highlight - her voice gets stronger with every album. "HeartBreak City" may just be my favourite of the newer songs. This track is glorious and the vocals are so raw, it's heartbreaking. A track which you could assume is all about Guy Ritchie, a relationship breakdown that clearly still hurts. "Wash All Over Me", another great confessional and reflective ballad. There's beautiful and luscious instrumentation with great lyrics, "In a world that's changing, I'm a stranger" - Madonna knows she's getting older, but she's not giving up. "Messiah" is quite like "Spanish Eyes", powerful and beautiful, "I'll light a candle here in the dark". Then there's the title track, "Rebel Heart", an obvious anthem for our Queen. This acoustic ballad is honest, confessional and a wonderful track that shows why Madonna is so wonderful.

Now let's talk about some of the sexier tracks on the album. "Body Shop" is all kinds of awesome. The click track works wonderfully and the sped vocals work a treat. The repeated phrase of "body shop" is a highlight. "Holy Water" is sexy and fantastic, the right kind of blasphemy. With a "Vogue" sample and a shout out to producer Kanye West, "Yeezus loves my pussy best", this is a stand out. Finally there's "Veni Vidi Vici", my second favourite of the new tracks. With multiple shout outs to her past hits, this is made for the fans. And with lyrics like, "I came, I saw, I conquered", you can't help but agree.

Madonna has proven once again that age is not important. This album matters, it is an amazing effort from an artist who is still making incredible music. Don't download, buy it. "Rebel Heart" is the best of the album of the year!

No comments:

Post a Comment