Wednesday 4 March 2015

Madonna Week: Classic Album Review - American Life


Time to continue Madonna Week, and how I've loved writing these posts and thanks for all the support - yesterday's blog was my most read blog of all time! A big thanks to Madonna Nation on Twitter for the retweet! Anyway, today, and it's time for a classic album review, this time it's the much maligned "American Life", a favourite of mine and also many Madonna fans.

"American Life" is a beautiful album, my second favourite album of all time - after "Like A Prayer". Lyrically it is stunning, and Madonna's voice sounds exquisite. This is a true fan album, I've spoken to many big Madonna fans who absolutely love this piece of work from our Queen. The music is stripped back, and her work with Mirwais is blissful. Theoretically this album is about transcendence, it was an answer to the zen she was reaching at the pinnacle of her yoga regime. For fans, it spoke to our hearts. The lyrics were so personal for her, that they reached us, I saw meaning in my own life. I had grown through a bad relationship with an exceptionally good looking man, who I tried to hold on to even though he was toxic, my absolution came via X-Static Process, "I always wished that I could find someone as beautiful as you, but in the process I forgot that I was special too." Beautiful words.


Funnily enough, I believe the only misfire on the album was releasing "American Life" as the first single, while a good song, it's not the strongest on the album. Arguments could be made that the other three singles, "Hollywood", "Love Profusion" and "Nothing Fails" would be better choices. I myself would have loved to see "Nothing Fails" as the first single, it was a stunning, heartfelt tune reminiscent of "Like A Prayer" with its build to a massive choir. I certainly would have loved a clip for this awesome song. "I'm in love with you, you silly thing", it gets me every time. But I digress, "American Life", now I'm not as harsh on the rap as others, I think her rapping worked better in "Mother and Father". A lot of people missed the irony in the song, and more the fool them, because the song has a lot to say about American society that may be even more true today.


"Hollywood" again saw Madonna getting political with a song about excess and greed. It's a classic Madonna pop song with the right level of grit, "Trip the station, change the channel". The film clip was also classic Madonna, with just the right levels of controversy. "Love Profusion" is a beautiful pop love song, and the clip is stunning, Madonna looks amazing. It's a very underrated song, it's a joy to listen to and I wish more people had heard it on release. "I've got you under my skin,"


And of course let's not forget that "American Life" also contains her Bond theme, "Die Another Day", the most unique 007 soundtrack song of all time. I loved that so many people were angry that Madonna deviated from the usual Bond theme format, hello, if you hire Madonna, she's going to do her own thing. And do her own thing she did. This one of Madonna's more unique singles, and it is glorious in every respect. Such a great dance / pop song. And once again, an amazing clip, you have to love duelling Madonna's battling it out!


Then there's the album tracks, and there's not a bad one here - they are all stunning in their own way. My highlight is "Easy Ride", a track I wrote about yesterday. This tale of looking forward by looking back is beautiful and feels like a theme song for Madonna, it certainly is for me. "Intervention" is another winner, and like so many of these tracks, it feels very confessional. Musically it is also spot on, laid back and inviting. I've already talked about "X-Static Process" and "Mother and Father", but they are also perfect examples of confessional songs being so appealing. These are all amazing tracks.

I listened to the entire album again this afternoon and was once again struck by how perfect it is. This is a true Madonna classic, even if others just can't see it. I will play this album many more times in my life!

No comments:

Post a Comment