Monday 23 March 2015

Single of the Week: Jordin Sparks - Double Tap (featuring 2 Chainz)


Little Jordin Sparks is all grown up, the former American Idol winner is best known for her very sweet early tracks, "Tattoo", "No Air" and the duet with Guy Sebastian, "The Art of Love". Well she's not so sweet anymore singing, "Bet you won't double tap that hoe"!

When I first heard the lyrics to this song, I thought, "Oh my God Jordin, what have you done?" I truly loved her last full studio album, "Battlefield" and thought this was a bad direction for her to go in. Then I listened to the song a few times and it got stuck in my head for weeks and here I am declaring it my single of the week. Maybe this was the right step after all!

Moving away from her pop roots and adopting a more urban sound, Sparks has crafted a truly infectious tune that makes you want to dance. The beats are very full and dirty sounding, it's a great tune. Lyrically it's all a bit silly, an ode to Instagram and being Instafamous, but it's certainly fun. Very fun. How can you go past, "Baby, on the low, you stay on the page 'cause I guess I'm you're favourite".

The 2 Chainz verse is a little superfluous, but the whole song is pure entertainment. It makes me excited to hear the upcoming Sparks album and hear how her sound will develop. Winners of reality singing competitions often have trouble staying on top (except maybe Kelly Clarkson and Carrie Underwood), so it would be nice to see Sparks get back on top with some new work.

Check out the very fun clip as well. Is this the best song that'll be released all year? Of course not. But it's bloody fun and will be a great party anthem. Way to go Ms Sparks!


No comments:

Post a Comment