Tuesday 3 March 2015

Madonna Week: First Singles Ranked in Order

Madonna Week continues, and it's an exciting day, it's all but been confirmed Madonna will head back to Australia next year. Exciting news indeed. Today's Madonna Week post sees me ranking the first singles from her albums. Now this was a tough task, considering I genuinely like all 13 songs listed below. Disclaimer, "Vogue" from "I'm Breathless" is not included, because it's not considered a solo album, it's considered a soundtrack. So here's my list in order, please tell me yours in the comments section.


13 - Everybody - from "The First Album"



Controversial entry, while "Everybody" is technically Madonna's first ever single, it was not her first release in my native Australia, that would be "Burning Up", a song that definitely would have ranked very high (it's my favourite song on "The First Album"). "Everybody" is a good song, even better knowing that Madonna and Madonna alone wrote this. The best part of the song is the catchy hook, "Dance and sing get up and do your thing". A great dance song. Still, even though it's come last on this list it is still a damn fine song!

12 - American Life - from "American Life"


Now a lot of people pan the "American Life" album, I am a massive fan (tune in later this week for a classic album review of the disc), especially of the album tracks and later singles. If honest, the title track is one of the weaker tracks on the album, having said that, still love it, especially the Headcleaner Remix, which really adds the rock. I think the major problem is that the song has dated more than other Madonna tracks, the rap, while perfect at the time, hasn't fared as well over the years. But still, throw it on and I will sing it as loudly as possible.

11 - Give Me All Your Luvin' - from "MDNA"


This hurt ranking this track at 11, I love it so much. It's a great little pop ditty and the Nick Minaj verse makes me smile. And how can you not want to cheer along to "L-U-V- Madonna, Y-O-U- You wanna"? There's nothing wrong with the song, there were just probably stronger songs on the album, I just like other songs more.

10 - 4 Minutes (Featuring Justin Timberlake) - from "Hard Candy"


Another track I wish I could have put higher. This is a great duet between two powerhouses who voices work so well together. My favourite line, "Sometimes I think what I need is a you intervention", gets me every time. Good beat and a solid pop song. Still love it, even at ten.

9 - Music - from "Music"


"Hey Mr DJ, put a record on, I want to dance with my baby", what an amazing start to this great dance floor track. It sucks it's at 9, it's a good track (I feel like I'm having a meltdown here justifying these songs down the bottom when I love them so much). Good clip, catchy tune and there were some excellent remixes. Like a number of these songs, many of the other tracks on the album were stronger. Still, this goes off on the dance floor.

8 - Living For Love - from "Rebel Heart"


The latest track, and it's hard to judge it because it's so new. Some tracks lose their shine over the years, or some tracks just grow stronger and stronger. I will reserve judgement for now and just talk about how much I love this anthemic pop song right now. From the inspirational lyrics, great beat to the great choir sounds, Madonna vocals are sounding incredible. I look forward to truly lose my shit to this song on the dance floor at my birthday this year.

7 - Like A Virgin - from "Like A Virgin"


"I made it through the wilderness, somehow I made it through", a beautiful start to a great song. A classic mid 80's pop song that defined an artist. This is a classic Madonna tune, scratch that, just a classic tune. It's a great song, and it's wonderful how much Madonna's voice has evolved. You can't help but sing along to this awesome track.

6 - Live To Tell - from "True Blue"


A strange choice for a first single, especially when single two was "Papa Don't Preach", but there's no denying how beautifully moving this power ballad is, and it showed a great progression in Madonna's voice. The song saw a change in image and sound. This was the beginning of not just a great singer, but also a great and iconic artist.

5 - Erotica - from "Erotica"


There's something about this dirty little track that I just love. Madonna's gravelly tones sound perfect as she cooes in this song, and the lyrics, while saucy, are perfect. This is one of those tracks that gets better with age. Have always loved this song, I named my beloved family cat "Dita" because of this song. The remixes are spot on and the song just makes me feel good, though slightly dirty!

4 - Hung Up - from "Confessions on a Dancefloor"


This is one of Madonna's biggest hits, and there's a major reason - this song is awesome. That great ABBA, "Gimme, Gimme, Gimme" sample is just perfect with Madonna's vocals and lyrics. Yesterday I talked about the amazing video, a perfect fit for this fun track. This track is great loud, and after a few drinks. A truly brilliant first single from the Queen.

3 - Frozen - from "Ray of Light"


It's hard to find a song more beautiful than "Frozen". While some may think that the sheer power of "Ray of Light" was a better first single, for me "Frozen" is the best track on the album. Haunting, poignant and a showcase for Madonna's vocals, this song is still as good as it was when it was first released. Beautifully written, the musicianship is some of the best on any Madonna track.

2 - Secret - from "Bedtime Stories"


This is not just my number two song on this list, this is my second favourite Madonna (or any artist) song. There's a beautiful ease to this song that you just can't fault. It's a catchy tune, the humming in the chorus is wonderful. Even all these years later, I genuinely get excited when this track comes on. Plus the remixes of this track are brilliant. This may be the strongest second placed finish ever.

1 - Like A Prayer - from "Like A Prayer"


Any regular readers of this blog will know how much I adore this song. I truly believe it is in every respect perfect, the greatest song ever recorded (I love to gush over this track). The combination of Madonna and Pat Leonard is amazing, and they have crafted something wonderful lyrically, musically and culturally. Check yesterday's blog to see why the clip is so good but as for the song I can't help but use as many superlatives as I can think of. Truly, truly wonderful and a perfect piece of art.

So tell me, what's your favourite first singles? Tell me in the comment sections below.

No comments:

Post a Comment