Thursday 5 March 2015

Madonna Week: 11 Best Non-Album Tracks


Day 6 of Madonna Week, and time for another little countdown. Last day tomorrow, and it's a review of "Rebel Heart", so check in then! This time it's my favourite 11 Madonna tracks that never appeared on a "proper" album, they may have been from soundtracks or on greatest hits collections, or just a stand alone track. There were a few great ones that missed the list, tracks like "Gambler" or "Hey You". But I truly love the 11 on the list, hence the reason for 11 - I just couldn't get rid of one to make it 10!


So here are the tunes, I'd love to hear in the comments what you would have put on this list:

Beautiful Stranger



Sometimes Madonna tracks are just pure fun, and that's what "Beautiful Stranger" is. Made for the soundtrack to "Austin Powers: The Spy Who Shagged Me", the clip featured Mike Myers as well and is pretty damn funny. This uptempo love song is catchy and easy to sing and dance to. A truly great Madonna tune.

Causing a Commotion



I knew I had to put a song from "Who's That Girl" on this list, and I love all four songs from that soundtrack (I even love the film, makes me laugh) and it was hard to choose. I almost picked, "The Look of Love", but realised I couldn't go past the subtle brilliance of this uptempo pop ditty. Written with amazing collaborator Stephen Bray, this is a fun tune that again is easy to sing along with. It's the kind of track that when I hear it, I end up singing it all day long, happily.

Celebration



I was always upset that this song didn't get more attention, it is an amazing party anthem - especially when you see some of the crap party tunes that make it to the top of the charts. This is more classic Madonna, she knows how to make great pop songs and her lyrics on these tracks are super fun, "Are you drunk? Are you sober? Think about it, doesn't matter". If it's a Madonna track you haven't listened to much, go back and revisit it - it's pure gold.

Crazy For You



There may be no more famous Madonna ballad than the exquisite "Crazy For You". A number one smash, this is a sophisticated tune that demonstrated a different side to Madonna, her first ballad after two albums of pop and dance. It's such a beautiful love song, "two by two their bodies become one" with great instrumentation and a great vocal performance by Madonna. Classic may seem to light a word!

I'll Remember



This song from the "With Honors" soundtrack is a great electronic ballad from Madonna. This song has always held a special place in my heart, it was the last song I played at my 21st! This was around the time that Madonna was loving a good ballad, and this is one of the best. There's a sophistication to both the music and the lyrics - and it still holds weight today.

Into the Groove



How can you not like this song? I mean seriously, if you can't help but dance and sing along to this song then there must be something wrong with you. One of the best songs of the 80's from any artist and a classic Madonna hit. It was the anthem of so many teens of the time, "Only when I'm dancing can I feel this free, at night I lock the door so no one else can see." So good on so many levels, put it on again and turn up the volume - like it should be played.

Justify My Love



This sexy track would probably be in my 5 favourite songs of all time, it's that good. This is a trip-hop song where Madonna doesn't really sing, she speaks, whispers and coos. This is a genuinely sexy song, and not just because of the amazing and controversial clip. It sat perfectly with all the mega hits on "The Immaculate Collection", and instantly became a classic.

Me Against the Music



There was a lot of hype about this song when it first came out, and it didn't disappoint - in fact it went to number one here in Australia. What a funky track this is, and pretty sexy. Britney sounds great, this was the lead single from her best album, "In the Zone", and the addition of Madonna just adds to the excellence of this superstar and powerhouse duet. Also, what an awesome video.

Rescue Me



The often forgotten second new track from, "The Immaculate Collection", why was there never a clip for this brilliant song? Right from the opening sounds of Madonna powerhousing, "I'm talking, I'm talking, I believe in the power of love," you know you're in for something special. Working with Shep Pettibone, the pair created a great pop song that should have been a bigger hit.

This Used to Be My Playground



"A League of their Own" was such a great film, and Madonna was wonderful in it. Even better, this beautiful ballad filled the images of the original woman playing baseball over the end credits. It elicited such strong emotions, and that's what this song does best. Madonna sounds incredible, the instrumentation is beautiful and the lyrics are something special. This is a gorgeous and luscious track with a divine clip.

You Must Love Me



Really I could have chosen any song from "Evita", Madonna's voice sounds immaculate in the soundtrack to her Golden Globe Award winning film. First reason to chose "You Must Love Me", the song won an Oscar, second, the song was written by Andrew Lloyd Webber and Tim Rice for Madonna exclusively and third, it is truly a beautiful track. Inspiring stuff.

What is your favourite non album track? Tell me in the comments section below.

No comments:

Post a Comment