Wednesday 4 March 2015

Madonna Week: Best Album Tracks


Another day, another Madonna blog - I am really enjoying writing these! It's so great to look back at an artist with such an amazing body of work. Today, I look back at all Madonna's album and pick my favourite album tracks. So many artists will make produce amazing singles but just throw together any old album track, but not our Queen, her album tracks are always exquisite. Now for the hard job, picking favourites!!

MDNA - "Love Spent"

A clear winner on the album, both the original and the acoustic version from the Deluxe Version. Lyrically and musically rich, it combines a driving guitar with a great dance beat. With luscious production from William Orbit, the repetition of the line, "Spend your love on me" is especially strong.
The runner ups: I Don't Give A, I Fucked Up and Falling Free

Hard Candy - "Devil Wouldn't Recognize You"



I remember being blown away the first time I heard this track, it was my instant favourite on the whole album and it's still my favourite track, single or not. You have to love the raspy sound of Madonna singing, "But I do" repeatedly during the chorus. There's strings, a choir, a great dance beat and some killer sounds, Timbaland threw it all in and it works a treat. Lyrically again, Madonna is spot on. I spew love for this song.
The runner ups: Beat Goes On, Dance 2night and Heartbeat

Confessions on a Dance Floor - "Like It Or Not"



Some songs just scream Madonna, and this is one of them. I have always loved the lyrics in this song, "Celebrate me for who I am, dislike me for what I ain't". It's also a great female empowerment song, actually, it's just a great song period. I would have always loved to have seen a clip for this song, a track that always gets a lot of plays at my place.
The runner ups: I Love New York, Let It Will Be and How High

American Life - "Easy Ride"



"I want the good life, but I don't want an easy ride", these lyrics spoke to me when first released and they still do. "American Life" was Madonna's best album lyrically, and this is the best album track. A beautiful mid paced ballad with guitar and strings, vocally Madonna sounds wonderful. This is an inspirational track about looking forward by looking back. "What I want is to live forever", and may she!
The runner ups: Intervention, X-Static Process and Mother and Father.

Music - "Gone"

I love a good Madonna ballad, and this one is an exquisite one. With beautifully rich sounds and beat thanks to William Orbit, and some lovely Madonna lyrics, "Selling out is not my thing, walk away, I won't be broken again, I'm not what you think". Beautiful, she truly is a poet. And even though people often say Madonna's voice isn't as strong as others, it's when you hear a song like this that you hear how wonderful her voice is.
The runner ups: I Deserve It, Amazing, Impressive Instant

Ray Of Light - "Skin"

The "Ray of Light" album had such a great Euro dance sound and this is highlighted by this luscious dance track. It has a sexy sound, and Madonna's voice sounds incredibly provocative over some great lyrics, "Kiss me I'm dying, put your hands on my skin". Makes me want to dance and sing loudly, a truly brilliant album track.
The runner ups: "Little Star", "Sky Fits Heaven" and "Candy Perfume Girl"

Bedtime Stories - "Sanctuary"



"Surely whoever speaks to me in the right voice, him or her I shall follow". This is probably my favourite first ten seconds in any song, ever. What a beautifully haunting song that evokes such powerful imagery. This song proved that Madonna could always drive in her own lane, she could make great pop songs like "Secret", but then make something more left of field and edgy like "Sanctuary". The vocals are subdued and sexy, I fucken love this song.
The runner ups: Inside of Me (Such a great song too), Love Tried to Welcome Me and I'd Rather Be Your Lover.

Erotica - Waiting

"Erotica" was such a sexy album, and this track is proof. Madonna experimented with her voice on this album, singing lower with a more sexy tone and experimenting more with talking in her tracks. The end result was amazing. This track is pure Madonna pop, a great beat with some fun and provocative lyrics, a good one indeed.
The runner ups: Words, Why It's So Hard, Secret Garden

Like A Prayer - Love Song



What an incredibly hard choice, I seriously think I could chose every album track from this album - I have such serious love for it all. But I guess the powerhouse combination of Madonna and Prince has made me choose this little gem. It's a great marriage between Prince's disco sound and Madonna's pop roots and together their voices sound great. When Madonna belts out, "Don't try to tell me what your enemies taught you, I'm gone but I just want to know", my heart melts, and I can't help but smile when Madonna speaks in French and Prince asks, "What?". A classic album track.
The runner ups: Till Death Do Us Part, Promise To Try and Spanish Eyes.

True Blue - "Where's the Party?"



What a fun song this is, a great party track that is just as famous and popular as many singles. This is pure pop, a great 80's sound that Madonna is so famous for. It seems like weekend loving party songs are pretty popular now, but back then, they were rare - again Madonna is a leader in music. Produced with amazing collaborators, Patrick Leonard and Steven Bray, this is the best of all three. A great song that really should have been a single.
The Runner Ups: White Heat, Jimmy Jimmy and Love Makes the World Go Round

Like A Virgin - "Over and Over"



For years my favourite album track was Madonna's amazing cover of "Love Don't Live Here Anymore", what a beautiful track, but then it became a single after it was added to the "Something To Remember" collection of ballads. But to "Over and Over", it's a great pop dance track. A positive tune with Madonna telling us she gets "up again over and over". A positive track that's still fun to listen to.
The runner ups: Shoo Bee Doo, Pretender and Stay

The First Album - "I Know It"


This is probably the one I was most torn on, do I choose this or "Physical Attraction"? Both are great, even a little similar. It is the power of Madonna's voice and when she sings, "I know you're take your love and run" that made this track win. Classic early 80's pop / disco from an artist who would grow to be the world's biggest star.
The runner ups: Physical Attraction and Think of Me

So do you agree? What are your favourite album tracks? Tell me in the comments section below.

No comments:

Post a Comment