Thursday 26 March 2015

Top 5 Songs: One Direction


Goodbye Zayn. What a sad day for One Direction fans yesterday, but I guess we could all see it coming - he clearly hadn't been happy for a while. So who knows what the future holds for the group? Robbie Williams came back to Take That for an album later in their careers but Take That were never really the same after Williams left. But no matter what happens with the boys, we had four excellent albums with some amazing tunes, tunes I'll be listening to for a while.

My Top 5 Brandy songs blog went really well a few weeks back and I was planning on doing a new list this weekend for a different artist, but after Zayn's news yesterday, I knew I needed to make a list for a full member 1D.

I've been a big fan of the boys since the start, I do always love a good boyband or girl group, and there's no denying that One Direction have commanded and deserved attention over the past few years. Now it's really hard to pick their 5 best, but I did it, and coincidentally enough, there was one song from each album. But there were so many songs I wished I could have squeezed into this list, but alas, my own rules state there can only be five. And I'd love to hear your 5 favourites in the comments section below.

5 - Steal My Girl


From the dramatic opening to the soaring vocals, this is a classic 1D track and a great intro to the boy's final album as a five piece, the now ironically titled, "Four". Second single "Night Changes" is also a great one, but there's something special about this piece of pure pop. While some of the lyrics are a little questionable, the beat is amazing and the guys sound great - especially Zayn (sad face).

4 - What Makes You Beautiful


The track that begun the boy's worldwide domination is still a winner, all these years later. Completely infectious, this is the kind of ear worm that borrows into your head and gets stuck in your internal jukebox. Great beat, cheesy but lovable lyrics and a very cute film clip. One of the best debut singles for any act!

3 - Little Things


Co-written with Ed Sheeran, this is a stunning ballad that is a great showcase for the boy's talent. With a stripped back acoustic guitar and a very unplugged sound, the boys are able to showcase their voices. It was with this album we began to see them develop as vocalists and deliver a powerhouse performance.

2 - Strong


While this wasn't an official single, it was released as a promo single and charted in the UK and went to number one in New Zealand. This is a stunning track that I really do adore. It's a mid tempo love song that is totally addictive. Lyrically it's also strong, especially in the chorus, and the boys vocals harmonise so well together. I've listened to this track a few times again while making this list and remembered how much I really do adore it.

1 - Story Of My Life


This was an easy pick for me, this is not just a great One Direction track, it's a great track - one of my favourites from 2013. This folk inspired pop song is a true pop anthem with a great driving beat. It's highly addictive and easy to sing along to. This is a highlight in their excellent career. It's mature, accomplished and the kind of track most artists would aspire to releasing. I'll be listening to this one for many years. Again Zayn was a highlight here, he will be missed!

So what's your five favourite One Direction tracks? Tell us in the comments section below.

2 comments:

  1. Good post, and a tough decision to make!
    I'm not sure the boys will survive past their next album, because I can easily see Liam following Zayn's example, and without him, they're scuttled. But still, even if all we get is 5 albums, the boys will all go on to (very different) successes afterward, so hopefully they'll be in our lives for a long time to come.

    Fool's Gold
    Story of My Life
    What Makes You Beautiful
    I Would
    Night Changes
    (honourary mention: Steal My Girl)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're probably right! Nice choices there, nice to see some same ones!

      Delete