Saturday 31 October 2015

6 Singles You May Have Missed #2


A few weeks ago I wrote a blog about six singles that I loved that I hadn't yet written about, and hadn't been as popular as they probably deserved. So many times it's simply because you haven't heard the song yet. Well pop fans, this will now be a monthly column and a perfect chance to discover some music you may have missed.


She Used To Be Mine - Sara Bareilles



Sara Bareilles has a special place in my heart. I have loved every single one of her albums, "Brave" placed in my Top 40 singles of all time this year, "Gravity" was unlucky to not have gotten a place. Plus I saw her in Melbourne last year and she was perfect. She has a new album coming out people! This is reason to celebrate!!! The album, "What's Inside: Songs From Waitress" is from a musical adaption of the film. "Waitress". The first single, "She Used To Be Mine" is a classic Bareilles ballad. Delicate, intimate, powerful and so beautifully emotional. She emotes so wonderfully with her voice that it hits me every time. I adore this song, and it makes me very excited for the upcoming album. "She is all of this mixed up and baked in a beautiful pie", so perfect!

Burnitup! - Janet Jackson featuring Missy Elliot



I wrote about this song a few weeks back when I reviewed the "Unbreakable" album and gushed about this great collaboration with Missy Elliot. You know how good it is when two icons get together, and their last duet, "Son Of a Gun" was great. The beat is so fast, intense and utterly addictive. This song makes me want to dance .. hard. The chorus is perfect and Missy's rap is sublime. Listen to this song people, it is great and proves that great pop stars will always know how to retain their crowns.

Kiss Me - Olly Murs



Now this was a hit in the UK, but has barely made a dent here in Australia, which is a true shame as this track from the repacking of Olly's great, "Never Been Better" album, may just be the album's best track. This is such a catchy tune with a great beat and a chorus that gets stuck in your head. The start is beautiful, and almost sounds like a Years & Years track. Lyrically this track hit me a bit close to home and that is the sign of a good song, if you can put yourself into the song. This is a great track and I look forward to the re-release of the album and all its new tracks.

Deeper Shade of Blue - Claire Richards



I only discovered this a few weeks ago and have been playing it non stop ever since. Claire Richards from Steps (who, let's face it, was always the strongest vocalist in the group), has recorded a very stripped back and acoustic cover of the Steps hit. She sounds utterly stunning and the simple instrumentation is perfect. Listening to the lyrics, it sounds better as a bittersweet ballad, "I used to say you were wonderful, now I just wonder where you are". This is a brilliant tear jerker that apparently has made Pete Waterman decide to make an album of Stock, Aitken and Waterman classics with an orchestral backing. I NEED that album!

Love Myself - Hailee Steinfeld



Fresh from her great appearance in "Pitch Perfect 2", Hailee Steinfeld released this great track that seemed like it was going to be a massive hit but just kind of stalled - I almost made this my single of the week a few week's back. This is a very catchy pop song with one of those chorus's that gets stuck in your head. It's a fun tune with a great message about self belief, if you don't know it, listen, it is truly a great pop song.

Wake Up - The Vamps



Yeah this song hit 12 in the UK and 3 in Scotland but in my home country of Australia it has stalled at 65. Hopefully with their current promo tour, it will take the song higher. For some reason Australia have pretty much missed the greatness of The Vamps, only letting "Somebody To You" chart well, and that was probably due to Demi Lovato. Boy bands sound so fresh right now, they are not about plastic pop, they have great instrumental tracks, driving guitars and very cool beats. This song is a great one, it perfectly builds and the chorus is very infectious. It's a great pop song that makes me very excited for their new album.

Do you like these songs? Or are their any pop singles I may have missed that I should know about? Tell me in the comments section below.

Join us on social media to find when out we release a blog, there's a lot of fun coming up and some competitions. Join now at:

No comments:

Post a Comment