Saturday 3 October 2015

Album Review: I Cry When I Laugh - Jess Glynne


With an album that features six hit singles, it was certainly time for the wondrous Jess Glynne to release her debut album, and what a great album it is. Pop it on, feel the beat, love the vocals and lose yourself in the music.




Jess Glynne, I have majorly been fangirling over for a while now. With each release of a new tune, I feel more in love with that voice and with the great beat that accompanied her tracks. I have been hanging out for this album, and was bummed the UK got it a month before we did here in Australia, but it was worth the wait - this is a great album I will be revisiting very often.


There is an amazing ease to Glynne's voice that you just have to love. There's a beautiful rasp that makes her voice so very distinctive and it sounds so great over dance and pop beats. Paired with first class production these tracks are slick and guaranteed to get stuck in your head. I'm sure over this past year we've all had one or more of her songs stuck in our heads, "Darling hold my hand...."


As I stated, six hits are featured, and hits they certainly were. Our introduction to Glynne came via Clean Bandit's very special, "Rather Be". This is such a good track and she sounds incredible. There's also her duet from this year with Tinie Tempah, the brilliant, "Not Letting Go" - this track brings me joy. There's also the other great Clean Bandit track, "Real Love" and a great acoustic cover of her track with Route 94, "My Love". Plus there's the two most recent singles, "Hold My Hand" and "Don't Be So Hard On Yourself". It's hard for me to pick which of these two tracks I love the most - both are brilliant examples of amazing pop. The only disappointment, the international version of the album doesn't feature her first solo track, "Right Here", a great single I would have loved on this album!


If you wondered if the album only just featured her hits so far, don't be worried as there are seven new and great tracks. There's great dance, solid pop and even a brilliant ballad - a little something for every pop fan. "Take Me Home" is emotive and stunning, "No Rights, No Wrongs" has such a good beat and the vocals are brilliant; then there's the stunning duet with Emili Sande, "Saddest Vanilla" - produced by Naughty Boy. The women sound incredible together, and it's always special when two powerhouse voices get together!


This is a VERY solid debut album from an artist who has a very strong future ahead of her. Brilliant work indeed!


No comments:

Post a Comment