Tuesday 27 October 2015

Top 5 Songs: Jewel


Jewel is one of those artists that can break your heart. Her lyrics are like poetry and have this special ability to make you relate. I was listening to her back catalogue this week and was remembering how much I adore her music, so it felt the perfect time to celebrate the work of Jewel with a Top 5 list.

I'm sure so many of us over the years have turned to a Jewel song when our hearts have been broken. It's no wonder she's had a number of successful books of poetry, her words are wonderful. She emotes like we feel, but she has that knack of saying what we never could. I've talked a lot about her brilliant writing, but let's not forget that beautiful voice! She has a new album out currently which I need to get this week and have a listen.

As always, there's a plenty of songs that missed out on the Top 5 that I truly love. The song which first made me fall in love with her, "Who Will Save Your Soul?" is great, so is "Down So Long" and "Standing Still" was unlucky to miss out on the list. "Intuition" is a misunderstood classic, and I always loved her first Christmas album and "Winter Wonderland" brings me sheer joy.

Time for my Top 5 Jewel songs, but just a reminder, please tell me your favourite Jewel songs in the comments section below. And please share this page with your friends on social media.

5 - This Way


This is such a joyous song, a beautiful love song. The longing in Jewel's voice is so wonderful and my heart sings when I listen to the song. While it may not be one of her better known singles, it is one of my favourites. The music is so cruisy and almost bubbly, and those lyrics are great, "I want to photograph you with my mind". This song reminds me of being in love, and that can't be a bad thing.

4 - Again and Again


My home country of Australia seemed to like this song more than anywhere else in the world according to chart performances, but then Jewel has always been big here. This song takes me back, it shows the power of Jewel's writing that I was able to put myself into this song and it reminds me of a relationship I had at the time. A great acoustic ballad, the chorus is contagious and the tone hopeful. It really is a fantastic song.

3 - Foolish Games


Well if a song was ever going to break your heart! The imagery is so clear, so stunning, so melancholic. The simple piano is gorgeous, as is her voice. But it's those lyrics that are the backbone of this song, her "heart bleeding" before us. I always loved the line, "You were fashionably sensitive, but too cool to care". Amazing stuff that can make me smile and cry. Bonus points as well for the version on the Greatest Hits album with the awesome Kelly Clarkson.

2 - Hands


"If I could tell the world just one thing, it would be, we're all okay", and breath out. That line is true poetry and shows the brilliance that is Jewel. This is a stunning song, the instrumentation is great and Jewel's voice is once again beautiful. There is so much hope and beauty in this tune, Jewel proving that the best songs can simply be declarations of positivity. This song is just as good as when it was first released.

1 - You Were Meant For Me


For me there could be no other song on top of the list. I've written a lot today of the beauty and poetry of Jewel's words, and this is the best example. The imagery that she elicits is perfection. The passion in her voice, and the great music add so beautifully to those incredibly accurate lyrics. My favourite? "Consuled a cup of coffee but it didn't want to talk". By taking the simple things we all do, and using them to show how she's not over her love, it hits us hard as we have all been there. This will forever be a song that brings me joy when it comes on, and then breaks my heart - that is Jewel's gift!

Join us on social media to find when out we release a blog, there's a lot of fun coming up and some competitions. Join now at:

1 comment:

  1. My wife introduced me to Jewel (before she was my wife) and I've followed her music career ever since.

    I'm more a pop/rock fan, although I must say Jewel makes Perfectly Clear and Sweet & Wild more than listenable.

    My top five Jewel songs (an I have all of her albums) are:

    5. Mercy (from Picking Up the Pieces). The pain expressed in this song - WOW! This is Jewel at her vocal and lyrical best. A song that the first time I heard it (only a few weeks ago) just knew it was going to be a fave...

    4. Drive To You (from Goodbye Alice in Wonderland). Just love the feel of this song. A couple of years ago I played it over and over for a period of a couple of months.

    3. Foolish Games (from Pieces of you). Again, so much emotion here - one of Ms. Kilcher's greatest strengths as an artist.

    2. Down So Long (from Spirit). This song resonated with me when the album came out as it was a time in my life that I found difficult. Jewel has that ability to resonate!

    1. The New Wild West (from my favourite Jewel album This Way). Showcasing her talent as a rock chick here, again lyrically she's as good as any artist I know.

    So pleased she is comping to Australia again. My wife and I can't wait to see her in Melbourne...

    ReplyDelete