Tuesday 13 October 2015

Top 5 Songs: Garbage


Garbage were always an awesome act, a bit pop, a bit rock with a few other genres thrown in to make their sound brilliant, and they had so many amazing hits. With the re-release of their debut album to celebrate 20 years, it seemed the perfect time to honour them with a Top 5 list.

Garbage is a band that needs to be played loud. The beat is always great, the instrumentation hard and Shirley Manson has a distinctively awesome voice. Known for their catchy tunes, the 90s and 00s would not have been the same without them.

There were so many great songs to choose from, I could have easily made a top ten list, but the column is just a top five. So songs I love that missed out include, "Vow" and "Stupid Girl" from the first album. Also love both "Cherry Lips" and "Why Do You Love Me?", both have great beats. And if I had a number six, it would most certainly be, "Special" - such a great song.

What are your favourite Garbage tunes? Tell us the in comments section below. So here are our Top 5 Garbage tunes.

5 - #1 Crush




Back from a time when soundtracks were massive and the "Romeo + Juliet" soundtrack was everything. One of the highlights from the album was this amazing laidback tune that was a perfect showcase for Manson's amazing vocals. A different kind of love song, there's such great passion in this tune. Now sing with me, "I would die for you..."

4 - Androgyny



While "Androgyny" may not have been as successful as some of the band's other first singles from albums, it doesn't take away from the awesomeness of this track. A beautiful combo of pop, rock and funk, the beat is sharp and catchy - I remember having this song and its hook stuck in my head for ages. The guitar before the first chorus is sublime, and the chorus is wonderful. Still such a great song.

3 - Milk



"Milk" is such a hauntingly beautiful song. There's such a tragic beauty to Manson's vocals here that are almost hypnotising. The most electronic song on the "Garbage" album, the beat is wonderful and I adore that chorus, it's so incredible when Manson belts out, "I'm waiting for you". Such a brilliantly moody track, I get so excited whenever it comes on.

2 - Push It



We are up to songs that I absolutely adore. This song gets me going, the driving guitar is incredible as the electronic beat. A perfect electro pop song that leaves room for Manson's brilliant vocals to shine through. Such passion in the verses and then there's the great whispered chorus. This felt like such a different direction when it was released, and I loved it wholeheartedly. This one still gets a lot of plays from me.

1 - Only Happy When It Rains



I fucking love this song. I could end the mini review there, but I won't. Shirley Manson sounds so wonderful here, her voice showing so much depth, range and beautiful hints of anger. The instrumentation is fantastic, it's the perfect pop / rock song. Then there's those great lyrics, thoughts we've all had from time to time. This song is meant to be played loud, which I am doing right now. Perfection!

So what's your favourite Garbage song? Tell me in the comments section below!

1 comment: