Saturday 17 October 2015

The Top 20 Stock, Aitken & Waterman Songs


Stock, Aitken & Waterman made my high school years. While I may have gone to a fairly rough Western Sydney School and all my friends were discovering Guns 'n' Roses, Bon Jovi and still holding a torch for Cold Chisel; I was all about the poptastic produced hits of Stock, Aitken & Waterman.

Sundays have been all about fun countdowns, so I thought this week couldn't get anymore fun than Stock, Aitken & Waterman. You just have to look at the line up of artists they produced for, Kylie, Jason, Bananarama and Rick Astley, to name a few, and you can see the best of the late 80s.

These songs meant everything to me. As a gay kid growing up in a rough area, often bullied for my emerging sexuality, music was my salvation. Madonna was always my favourite artist, but if anyone asked my favourite producers of all time, the only name I can say are the gents who made my teen years fabulous, Stock, Aitken & Waterman.

What are your favourite SAW tunes, tell me in the comments section below. But for now, here are my 20 favourite tracks.

20 - Do They Know It's Christmas - Band Aid II



What a line up, Kylie, Jason, Bananarama, Lisa Stansfield, Bros and many more. The second version of "Do they know it's Christmas" slightly changed the structure of the song and added a great pop beat - the result was excellent, just as good as the original - and way better than the woeful two versions that followed. The gents of SAW showed they know how to produce with this one!

19 - I Just Don't Have the Heart - Cliff Richard



So Cliff Richard may have become quite the controversial figure of late, and he has always been a daggy icon, but his 1989 work with SAW gave him cred for a couple of minutes. This is such a well written song, the chorus is great, especially those little claps. I came to this song later (it wasn't really a hit here in Australia), and loved it in secret - I guess I'm outing myself right now as a fan of one Cliff Richard song!! But it is a great song!

18 - He Ain't No Competition - Brother Beyond



Brother Beyond didn't really make it here in Australia, but I still loved this tune. A HI-NRG classic, this song follows the SAW formula of making very catchy choruses. What a great beat, and while they might not have had the best voices, it sounds great with the beat. I'm singing along right now as I listen to this great song.

17 - Say I'm Your Number One - Princess



This is a very early Stock, Aitken & Waterman hit, all the way back to 1985. It certainly sounds like the mid 80s with those great synths. Princess had such a great voice, and she sounds quite effortless and cruisy on this great track. A well deserved world wide top ten for both Princess and the gents of SAW.

16 - When You Come Back To Me - Jason Donovan



This is the first single from Jason Donovan's second album, and my favourite of his tracks (I still own the 7" of this song). Jase did have some great songs, "Too Many Broken Hearts", "Rhythm of the Rain", "Everyday" and of course "Especially For You", which was probably number 21 on this list; but this one for me is the perfect example of how good Mr Donovan was, and why he really should have been celebrated more as a great pop artist.

15 - Hand On Your Heart - Kylie Minogue



Early Kylie is such a massive love of mine, and I adore this track so much. That poor little fat teen trying to deny his sexuality used to love watching this clip, singing every word and copying the dance in the clip. It is so well produced and written, it is infectious and if you don't smile while listening to this song, there may be something wrong with you.

14 - Take Me To Your Heart - Rick Astley



While there are better known Rick Astley singles, this is one I just can't escape. One, his voice is so good and two, the beat and melody are both so perfect. The clip was funny and Rick has such a great attitude when he sings. I love to sing this one loud, so apologises in advance neighbours, I'm just pressing play now.

13 - You Spin Me Round (Like a Record) - Dead or Alive



This camp treat gave Stock, Aitken and Waterman their first ever number one song, and what a song it is. Possibly of one of SAW's most iconic songs, this has been covered and sampled by so many. Pete Burns is an amazing vocalist and the beat is brilliant. And who can go past the lyrics, "I want someone's son"? Not me, that's for sure!!! Great stuff.

12 - Respectable - Mel and Kim



This worldwide number one smash always makes me a little sad with the very early and tragic passing of Mel at the young age of 23, So it seems even more reason to celebrate this amazing song from the twin sisters. Iconic, the beat is great and gets you dancing, and the lyrics are such fun, the "tay, tay... take or leave us", is so much fun. Still a great tune today.

11 - Love, Truth & Honesty - Bananarama



Not one of Bananarama's bigger hits, but one I adore. Lifted as a new single from their greatest hits album, there's a certain class to this song that seems to fit the ladies perfectly. It's another catchy SAW tune (they all are, aren't they?) and brings me so many happy memories of listening to this song and watching the great film clip.

10 - Je Ne Sais Pas Pourquoi - Kylie Minogue



This is another track that just makes me smile (especially that filmclip with Kylie doing some dialogue at the front, "Probably my fault, wrong day, wrong date" - I hate that in Australia we can't have access to the clips on YouTube). The lyrics in this song are great, and I find myself randomly singing them a lot. While I also adore, "Got To Be Certain", this is my favourite from the first album, sorry "I Should Be So Lucky".

9 - I'd Rather Jack - The Reynolds Girls



Okay, hear me out. I know this isn't the best song and I am a big Fleetwood Mac fan, but this tongue in cheek song is so fun. The beat to start the tune is awesome and it is so fast paced, I couldn't get enough of this song when it came out (I had the cassingle). And you have to love a tune that drops the names Rolling Stones and Yazz in the one song. This is a camp classic!

8 - What Do I Have To Do? - Kylie Minogue



Kylie's "Rhythm of Love" album had the most incredible singles, I was so in love with this album in 1990 and still adore it. It was also at this time I saw Kylie live for the first time, and this song was my favourite in the show. This is a pop classic, the beat has a more rave feel than much of Kylie's earlier pop songs. The beat is fast, catchy and so wonderful. This is sexy song that proved that Kylie was a force to be reckoned with.

7 - Happening All Over Again - Lonnie Gordon



Dabbling into Italian house music, SAW hit it big with this great tune that still brings me joy. That beat is great, the lyrics are spot on (we've all been there) and Gordon's voice is fierce. This tune makes me want to dance, it is so God damn catchy and perfect. Love, love, love this.

6 - This Time I Know It's For Real - Donna Summer



One of my fondest teen memories is getting enough money to buy this and Sonia's 7" singles, I played them both continuously. What a great tune, my favourite Donna Summer track. The chorus is brilliant and the beat is something special, I just want to clap along. Points also to the great cover by Australia's Young Divas. This came out in 1989, which I've often said is my favourite year in music, this is another reason why that year was the best!

5 - You'll Never Stop Me From Loving You - Sonia



1989 continued to be awesome when we got amazing tracks like this from pocket diva Sonia. In hindsight she sounds like a mentally ill stalker, "When I know you're alone I wander to your home to get a glimpse or two", but back then, it was just so much fun, it's still fun, scary, scary fun. Sonia had such a big voice and she sounds great here on a perfect SAW beat. Another tune that makes me smile when I hear it ... and check my front door is locked!

4 - I Heard A Rumour - Bananarama



From the very opening of this track, you can hear the brilliance that is "I Heard a Rumour". Lifted from this magnificent "Wow" album, this song is fantastic in every way. It's an infectious pop classic from three ladies who have always brought me such joy - plus my best friends and I at High School dressed up and mimed this song for a school talent quest. Good memories!

3 - Venus - Bananarama



This is a true classic, and one of the rare instances where a cover is far superior to the original. This was the first time Bananarama collaborated with the gents of SAW and the result was perfect. The attitude here is brilliant, the beat is thick and awesome and the ladies sound wonderful. The ultimate in songs that make me smile when I hear them.

2 - Better the Devil You Know - Kylie Minogue



This is my favourite Kylie tune, and I'm pretty sure it always will be. When it was released in 1990, it showed us a new style to Kylie, a more dance orientated pop artist and the result was inspiring. The dance beat and strings are perfect and the lyrics and Kylie's breezy delivery just make this song even more special. This track is truly iconic, and rightly so, it is pop perfection.

1 - Never Gonna Give You Up - Rick Astley



This Rick Astley classic is not only my favourite Stock, Aitken & Waterman song, it's one of my favourite songs of all time. This is pop done right, the beat is iconic, the lyrics make you smile and Rick has one helluva voice. This track is iconic, and you can RickRoll me anytime! Love may be an understatement, I was obsessed with this song when I was younger and it still brings me unbridled joy. A brilliant moment in pop history!

Do you agree with the list? What are your favourite Stock, Aitken & Waterman tunes? Tell us in the comments section below.

Join us on social media to find when out we release a blog, there's a lot of fun coming up and some competitions. Join now at:

No comments:

Post a Comment