Monday 12 October 2015

Single of the Week: Alive - Sia


When there's a brand spanking new Sia song, that is reason to celebrate - but when it's this good, there's extra reason to celebrate and to proudly make it our single of the week.

This amazing track has been out for a few weeks already, but I was waiting for another bat shit crazy and awesome clip. It still hasn't arrived, but I could wait no longer and had to shout its praises this week.

Written with Adele for her upcoming album, the song was scrapped at the last minute, then apparently it was also rejected by Rihanna. Really Rihanna, this is so much better than "American Oxygen". But it must have been fate, because Sia's version is absolutely perfect!

Let's just talk for a minute about how ridiculously amazing Sia's voice is, powerful and vulnerable - she's not about hitting a perfect note, she's all about expressing as much emotion as she can. I get the serious feels when I hear her emote so wonderfully.

The song is so very dramatic and builds so beautifully. We really do go through quite the journey in four and a half minutes. And if this song doesn't get you going, then that probably says more about you than anything else. There's such a beautiful devastation to this song, that often when I play it I close my eyes and let it wash all over me.

This is a brilliant tune. Last year Sia took out the number one spot on this blog's countdown of the top songs of 2014 with "Chandelier", I have a feeling she's going to be pretty high this year with this song. Brilliant and addictive, how I adore this song!


No comments:

Post a Comment