Thursday 8 October 2015

Album Review: Unbreakable - Janet Jackson


Janet is back (that's Ms Jackson if you're nasty), with her first new album in seven years and the result is an amazing return to form for one of the best female artists of all time.

Disclaimer, I am a pretty massive Janet fan, so I always knew I was going to like this album, but I didn't realise that I would love it as much as I do. I am a big fan of classic Janet, all the stuff from "Control" to "The Velvet Rope" are my absolute favourites. While I enjoyed some stuff from albums like "All For You" and "Damita Jo", I didn't like it as much as the earlier stuff. So what a great surprise to be able to say that "Unbreakable" fits along with those classic albums and is filled with 19 great songs.

There's something very joyful about this album, a hopeful tone that is very contagious. This is a woman who can reflect on an amazing career and still look ahead with such hope. It's an inspiring album, and it is so wonderful so to see her working again with Jimmy Jam and Terry Lewis - they know Janet so well, and clearly she trusts them as she's able to let go and let it all out.


Let's talk about the songs, and there's a lot to talk about. This is a solid album and the songs on the first few listens are already special, so I imagine within a few months I'm going to be obsessed with each and every song. Let's talk singles first, "No Sleeep" is still laidback R&B perfection. It's such a sexy song and deserves more attention than it has received. "Unbreakable" is an interesting one, in all honesty it has taken me a little longer to fully appreciate the song; but in listening to the album a few times, I am in - hook, line and sinker. What a special song, a song showing her evolution, with some special lyrics, "I'm glad you're still here", and we're glad you're still here too Janet.

Then there's the new single, her duet with Missy Elliot, "Burnitup!", which is in fact perfect. If I'm not mistaken, it starts with a sample from "If", a tune I adore; and then breaks into a full on club classic. Like "Son of a Gun", Missy and Janet are brilliant together and this song makes me want to dance and sing. The song is so infectious, I've had it on repeat for the past couple of weeks. This song deserves an audience.

Then there's so many other songs to choose as favourites. I'm sure we all have favourites, but mine include, "Shoulda Known Better", a joyous song of hope. It has a great beat and is classic Janet. The song builds so beautifully, and has some great lyrics, "Rhythm Nation was the dream".

"After You Fall" is a stunning ballad that is a great showcase of Janet's sweet voice, "Night" is another joyous tune, a triumphant mid tempo song that makes me want to sing along with, "I woke up in heaven this morning". "Well Traveled" is all kinds of beautiful and "Gon' B Alright" sounds like an update on the classic "What'll I Do". Other great tunes include, "Take Me Away", "Promise" and the Michael inspired "Broken Hearts Heal".

Like Madonna's "Rebel Heart" album, we see another classic artist return to form by both looking back and forward. This is such a great album, a triumphant return from an artist who will forever be known as one of the best artists of all time! An easy contender for being one of the best albums of the year.


1 comment:

  1. love ur review!!very well said!this album is awesome!I recomend to listen to this fans and non fans!

    ReplyDelete