Tuesday 20 October 2015

Top 5 Songs: NSYNC


Before Justin Timberlake was a megastar in his own right, he led one of the 90s best boybands, the one, the only, NSYNC. And wow, they had some amazing songs, pop gold. So it felt right to honour them this week with a Top 5 list.

Remember a time when everyone would debate who their favourite boyband was? You were either Team NSYNC or Team Backstreet Boys. While I loved both (I'm sure I'll do a BSB Top 5 before the end of the year), I always loved NSYNC more. JT had that great voice, JC Chasez also sounded great, and I always loved the other guys too, especially Lance.

Plus, their songs were great! So choosing my top five meant I had to miss out some great songs, songs I really do love, tracks like "Drive Myself Crazy" from the first album, "It's Gonna Be Me" from album two, and "Pop" from album three. I also loved their duet with the wonderful Gloria Estefan, "Music of my Heart", and it probably would have been six on this list.

So what's your favourite NSYNC song? Tell us in the comments section below.

5 - Gone


Stunning acoustic ballad "Gone" was always seen as a "backdoor pilot" for Justin Timberlake's solo career. With JT front and centre of the vocals, it was a wonderful showcase for that wonderful voice. Clearly it worked, this was a bigger hit than first single, "Pop", and JT went on to mega-stardom. It's also a great song, seeming so simple, it really is about the voice and those great lyrics - those of us who've had heartbreak have loved this song.

4 - This I Promise You


It was not until I was writing this blog that I discovered that Mr Hazard himself, Richard Marx, wrote and produced this song. That is a big wow moment. I have always loved this exquisite love song. And what a great love song, hauntingly beautiful with perfect harmonises. A great tune that always gets my emotions going, both JT and JC sound great on their verses; plus that build to the final chorus is something pretty special.

3 - Tearin' Up My Heart


Time to go right back with the next two, right back to the first album. This is a perfect example of why 90s pop was so damn good. That beat is great and gets you dancing, the instrumentation is fantastic and even early, the boys sounded great together. There is a darkness to the pop, that is brilliant, and it was here we were really starting to discover how good JT sounded with that truly unique voice.

2 - I Want You Back


The boys first single is awesome, though I am still battling between this and "Tearin' Up My Heart" as to which I like more, but chose this. The opening is awesome, the dirty beat fantastic and the vocals are flawless. I remember discovering this song and just being in love, this is great pop. Who could have guessed when this was released that their lead vocalist would go on to become so huge?!

1 - Bye Bye Bye


There really could be no other song at number one except, "Bye Bye Bye". This is as close to perfect as pop gets. A worldwide smash (number one here in Australia), put this on today at a party and people will still go crazy for it! Perfect harmonises, brilliant beat and fun lyrics. You travel quite a journey with this tune and it is produced so wonderfully. I truly adore this song, and think I will for a very long time!

Remember to tell us your favourite NSYNC songs in the comments below.

Join us on social media to find when out we release a blog, there's a lot of fun coming up and some competitions. Join now at:

No comments:

Post a Comment