Monday 19 October 2015

Single of the Week: Disclosure featuring Lorde - Magnets


Sometimes songs have a way of working their way deep into your psyche. That's why this blog is called Internal Jukebox, because sometimes a song gets stuck on repeat and you have it stuck in your internal jukebox. This week that song was the new one from Disclosure featuring New Zealand's favourite daughter, Lorde. In fact, I had planned to have another song as my single of the week, but then I just couldn't escape this great tune, and knew it just had to be the single of the week.

First up, what a great team. Disclosure may be an electronic duo, but they know how to make great pop songs - just look at the work they did with Sam Smith and Mary J Blige. Then there's Lorde, I become a bigger fan the more I hear her. I came to her late, "Royals" kind of passed me by and then someone at work LOVED her and I heard her album a lot, suddenly, I am playing her album a lot. She is one fine vocalist.

Together, Disclosure and Lorde are perfect, crossing so many genres to make a kick arse tune. Apparently this isn't an official single, but we got an amazing clip (with Lorde's trademark brilliant dancing), so to me, it's a single. The beat is brilliant, it's trademark Disclosure. It's catchy, deep and rich, making me want to dance with great abandon.

As for Lorde, she sounds incredible here. The depth in her voice continues to grow and she sounds great with the beat. Lyrically the song is on point again, the words, "Let's embrace the point of no return" have been stuck in my head for days now. Plus I love that Lorde is always a little self-deprecating, "Pretty girls don't know the things that I know." It's such a great line!

 The film clip is brilliant, the song is wonderful, and it is rightfully racing up the charts in both Australia and New Zealand - let's hope the rest of the world will follow suit. This is a song that deserves to be massive. Now let me play it again.


No comments:

Post a Comment